Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Hobson's Choice

I have considered deleting yesterday's post, but that is me in all my unglory so I think I will let it stand. I do thank you, dear reader, for your patience with my petulance. At another point in my life I would have remained firmly entrenched in my self-pity, but I don't want to do that anymore. Even if things are occassionally bad I still have so much to look forward to and enjoy. Plus, I am moving forward in several ways and I hope evolving however slowly.

I saw a sweet film on Monday night on TCM entitled Hobson's Choice. It is about the eldest daughter of an alcoholic shop owner in Victorian England grabbing hold of her destiny in her very capable hands and marrying the talented, demure bootmaker at her father's shop. The wonderful thing is the evolution of the bootmaker as he becomes more confident with the help of the woman who believes in him without reservation. It is a funny, sweet and charming British film with some lovely performances by a stellar cast including Charles Laughton as Hobson (the father), John Mills as Willie (the bootmaker) and Brenda De Banzie as Maggie (the daughter) . I would recommend this little gem for those with any romance in their souls or in need of a dose of hope.

No comments: